Oct 31, 2007


Last night at Wal-Mart my daughter and I were on our way to the checkout lane when one of the cashiers stepped out and offered to check us out right away. I noticed that her legs were bandaged to her knees. I could tell because she was wearing pedal pusher type pants (I'm no fashionista, so I don't know the proper name for pants that aren't shorts but aren't just high-waders). I looked back to my daughter and whispered excitedly at the same tiime she was whispering to me, "She has LYMPHEDEMA!"

I've seen women with compression sleeves before, but I've never seen anyone with compression leggings or bandages on. I was just so excited to not be the only one. To see someone with Lympahdema just working and living and coping. I didn't say anything to her about it because my daughter thought it would be better not too. I guess I didn't want to be all weird and ask her some personal question that maybe she didn't feel like discussing with a perfect stranger. She made my night though. I know that I'm not the struggling alone.

I found this cool site! For anyone with lyphadema in their arms this seems like a really great way to manage it and still look "cool." They don't have anything for people with lymphedema in their lower extremeties yet, but they're working on it. I know I can't wait to see what they come up with for legs! And I love the idea of "Lymphediva" - I'm jealous I didn't think of it first! Go there and check out their awesome stuff: http://www.lymphedivas.com/
Their mission statement says: LympheDIVAs™ LLC is dedicated to creating medically correct fashion: compression apparel for the savvy and stylish breast cancer survivor with lymphedema, which will inspire her to feel beautiful, strong, and confident.

No comments: